Sunday 23 December 2012

What a year...


I can not believe tomorrow is Christmas, and then in a few days it is 2013? I mean, where has the year gone? So much has changed for me and Alex in the past year. It's crazy to think and process sometimes. I have had days where my mind has been in overload and Alex has had to sit me down and re-iterate how much has happened and that its normal for my mind to be going a million miles per hour.

If you told me last Christmas that my own freelance business would be kicking off, but I would jack it all in to take a once in a life time opportunity to live and work in Australia, I would of not believed you. In January 2012 my main concerns were getting married and trying to grow my freelance business. However it turned out to be much more than that.

2012 was a year for:
• Running my own business
• Finding out I have the family cancer gene
• Getting married
• Closing up said business and starting a new job
• Moving with my husband to set up a life in Australia
• Appreciating my family and friends
• Learning who my friends are

I want to take this chance to have a look back on the year, a little review as some might say. Just to put things into perspective for myself, and how much has happened in 2012.

The biggest thing I have learnt this year is figuring out what I want to do in my life... so many thoughts have slotted into place. I have figured out as well, what I don't want to do, and this is a huge thing for me to. This year has been tough yet amazing...

The most amazing day of the year, was on the 19th May, where I married my best friend. The day was perfect, and I could not of asked for any more. I LOVE being married to Alex. Every day is different and he makes me laugh every single day and truly believe in myself. I could not of lasted 5 minutes here in Australia if it wasn't for the most amazing man by my side.

However me and Alex had some big challenges to face. I did not mention this on my blog before, but I feel I should as I want to raise awareness. I found out that I had the BRCA2 cancer gene, which is present in a lot of my family members. Finding out whether or not I had the cancer gene was a personal choice of mine which I was questioned about many a times by the doctors, my family and my best friend regarding whether I was ready to hear the results. I had wanted to find out for such a long time, and I knew I was ready to hear the results... I will never regret finding out, especially as it was 2 weeks before me and Alex got married. The funny thing is I pretty much knew deep down that I would have it, but it did change my perspective on life. It made me think that life really is to short, and I need to grasp opportunities with both hands. It has given me a choice. A choice not many women are lucky to have. The fact that Alex and my Mum was there to hear the results with me and just give me a big hug, made me realise if I was to ever get cancer I knew I would be ok. My mum & dad are so supportive, and Alex was just amazing. the way he dealt with it, and still deals with it, amazes me. This was another amazing reason to add to the list of why I knew Alex was the one for me. If I do fall into the 80% chance bracket of getting breast cancer. I know I have the most amazing supportive network around me, that nothing could harm me in that way.

Another huge thing was moving to Australia. The last 6 months have been exciting, but they have been challenging. No one can prepare you for leaving everything you know and love to set up somewhere new. Where you know no one. However, I think this has been the biggest life changer for me and Alex. It has made us so much more confident, in that we know we could live anywhere in the world now. This is exciting, as who knows where we might end up. I don't think we are life timers in oz, but it has made us question what we want out of life as individuals as well as a couple. It has made us hungrier to see what the world has to offer and we really want to travel at some point. Being so far away from family is a killer, especially when the ones you love are ill. This kills me inside, however to hear from one of the people you love the most, tell me how proud they are of me and Alex for chasing our dreams and giving it a try makes it all worth it. Living abroad isn't for everyone, I am still not entirely sure it's 100% for me (I know it is for Alex!) . However I do not regret making this move with my husband. As we have learnt so much about each other and ourselves.

I love how we have found out who are true friends are by coming to Australia. The friends, that no matter where we are in the world and what we might do. We will always be in each others lives. Whether that's by phone calls, emails, texts, Skype calls or letters. I feel so blessed with the friends that we have in our lives.

I am not trying to get soppy, but it's time around christmas when I am away from loved ones, that make me realise how lucky I am, and how SO much has happened in these 12 months. I just want to wish all my readers, friends and family a Happy Christmas & a happy new year. Thank you so much for your support for my blog, and I thought I would finish this post with an 'Ellie Goulding' song, "Anything could Happen'... as if the year 2012 is to go by, it really can!

No comments :

Post a Comment